Saturday, July 05, 2008

Their first workshop

It was Home Depots children's workshop day today. Bob was working overtime and Spencer really wanted to go. I figured I would just take everyone and let the little ones watch Spencer do his birdhouse. They are good natured and would not have been jealous. ( I don't know how I got that lucky) I explained that they were not old enough as you have to be 5 years old. When we got there LITTLE kids were doing the project - no more than three years old.
The kids ran up to the table where the kits were and the man said it was no problem and that they could do one too. They were thrilled and immediately grabbed their kits.
Of course that meant I had to aspire to be Bob Villa and try to help all four build a birdhouse at the same time and I had no idea how to do it myself.
They waited patiently and took turns while I helped each one ( after reading the instructions carefully.) Well, when I say patiently, there was no complaining..................they just nailed their birdhouse parts to the table a few times. The home depot guy asked if he could assist them and did a couple of times which helped tremendously or we would still be there trying to figure out how to put the roof on.
The little ones got their aprons and first pins. We came home and they had to call Daddy and tell him all about it. Then they wanted to put their newly constructed bird houses outside and wondered why the birds were not IMMEDIATELY making homes in them. (remember what I said about them being patient)
And yes, they are wearing the same shirts as yesterday. They really wanted to and I figured they didn't put them on until after suppertime yesterday so why not.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

If I were a bird I would move in IMMEDIATELY!
Love Sharon

Anonymous said...

I am so impressed with their bird houses. So glad that all the kids can take part in the Home Depot projects - it is a great thing for them to offer kids. And I know that you love to do them too.
Love, Nana